Hey guys! Today I have another recipe for you for healthy concoctions – Dandelion Flower Syrup.
You surely know this yellow-blooming spring plant from lawns and meadows. Treated unfairly as a nuisance weed, but dandelion flower syrup is a very effective medicine, and the whole plant has many health-promoting properties. So I encourage you to pick the flowers off the road and make my quick dandelion syrup recipe.
When I was little, my aunt always brought jars of this delicious dandelion honey and I was sure they were flowers filled with linden honey. The taste is very similar! Pride, especially in tea and lemonade and as a paste for bread with butter. I recommend my recipe for dandelion flower syrup.
Properties and application
The dandelion is an edible plant, its young leaves are used as an addition to salads or green smoothies. It can be eaten alone, raw, cooked, fried, in the form of juice or infusions, it is also popular to add cereals or syrup to tea or lemonade. The dandelion blooms from April to around September. Its flower syrup, however, is best made in early spring, then it becomes bitter, just like the leaves.
Dandelion syrup is often used for coughs and sore throats, although it has many other properties that are valuable to your health:
The use of dandelion syrup
- It soothes the cough
- Strengthens immunity
- Has an antioxidant effect
- It cleanses the body of toxins
- Supports the respiratory system in infection
- It has an antiatherosclerotic effect
- Antibacterial, antiviral and anti-inflammatory effect
- It is antifungal
- Bile and choleretic effect
- Speeds up wound healing
Recipe for dandelion syrup
- liter (e.g. a liter bucket) of freshly picked flowers (about 400 medium flowers)
- 1 kg of sugar
- whole lemon juice
- 1 liter of water
A method of preparing
Time needed: 1 day and 3 hours ..
Preparation of dandelion flower syrup
- We pick fresh and large, well-grown flowers, it is best to do it in the morning, when the heads are developing.After harvesting, immediately sprinkle the flowers on paper, newspapers or cloth and gently mix and shake them to remove small insects. Next, rinse the flowers in a strainer under running water.
- Pour water in a large pot and boil the flowers.When the water has boiled down, reduce the gas and simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring, then leave the syrup in a cool place overnight, preferably overnight.
- After this time, strain the mixture through a strainer, squeeze the water from the flowers, add sugar and lemon juice.After mixing the ingredients, cook on low heat for 2-3 hours so that the syrup thickens nicely. It should be similar to liquid honey.
- Pour the ready-made syrup into previously prepared jars or bottles.It can be stored with other preserves, but the dandelion flower syrup is valid for several months.
After opening the jar, store it in the refrigerator, tightly close it and use it within a few days.
Do you use home treatments or rather traditional medications prescribed by a doctor?