Hey guys! Today I have another recipe for you for Christmas dishes: Christmas Eve sourdough red borscht, a traditional dish that cannot be missed on our festive table.
Many people are afraid of homemade borscht, because sometimes it can fail, but it’s not worth worrying about, it happened to me very rarely. And teabag soups bought will never be as delicious and cheap as homemade Christmas Eve borscht made of pickled beetroot. We serve it with dumplings with mushrooms or clean. Making beetroot leaven for borscht is also simple and does not take little time, and costs literally pennies. Leaven can be prepared a few weeks in advance and stored in the refrigerator. You can find the recipe for it here: Beet leaven – for borscht and for health . My recipe is very simple, traditional and I always succeed. Delicious borscht comes out of it! If I got you interested in this delicious Christmas recipe, I invite you to the rest of the post!
Christmas red borscht with beetroot
Cooking time: approx. 1.5 hours
Standby time: 12 hours
- 1 liter of water
- two small or one larger carrot
- half a celery
- half time
- 4 grains of allspice, bay leaves
- marjoram, garlic, savory, other herbs
- pepper, salt to taste
- about 30g of dried mushrooms
- 500 ml of water for mushroom decoction
- Beet leaven: Beet leaven – for borscht and for health
Time needed: 1 hour and 30 min ..
Borscht Christmas Eve
- Preparation of mushroom decoctionPour the mushrooms with water in a pot and leave them to soak overnight. Then boil them until soft in the same water in which they soaked, covered. We strain them well.
- Preparation of vegetable stockPeel the vegetables, clean them and have to cut or blend them into tiny strips. Pour a liter of water in a pot. We add the cleaned leek, salt, pepper, allspice and bay leaves. Bring to the boil, covered, and then keep it on low gas for 1- 1.5 hours, until the vegetables are soft. Ready stock can also be strained, I like vegetables in soup.
- Cooking borschtPour the mushroom decoction into the vegetable. Then add the beetroot leaven to taste, amount of about 400 ml. We heat everything up, taking care not to boil the borscht, because then it will lose its color. Finally, season to taste. Ready!
Red borscht from beetroot – my comments:
After heating the borscht, you can strain it through a strainer and / or gauze, but some people like pieces of vegetables in their Christmas soup. If you want pure borscht, you don’t need to cut the vegetables so finely, but into large cubes. You can also use ready-made vegetables from frozen food.
Do not throw away the mushrooms, they can be used for filling – fillings, dumplings, for soup or pate. Vegetables can also be used for salads, pates.
Serve the borscht as a traditional soup with dumplings or pure, e.g. to sip croquettes or patties.
Enjoy your meal! And everything is healthy 🙂