Hey guys! Today I have another recipe for Christmas dishes for you: beet leaven, which we can use to prepare Christmas Eve borscht or we can drink it alone as an extremely healthy and tasty drink.
Many people are afraid of homemade sourdough, because sometimes it can fail, squeeze or moldy and buy ready-made, store-bought products. However, it is not worth worrying about, it happened to me very rarely. And the purchase sourdough will never be as delicious and cheap as home made. Making beetroot leaven is simple and does not take little time, and costs literally pennies. We can make such a beetroot leaven now and keep it in the fridge until the world, it will hold on easily, I promise.
Beet sourdough is an extremely healthy essence that contains vitamins and microelements, and also has many valuable properties, e.g. it strengthens the blood and increases immunity. You can drink it in its pure form as a strengthening and delicious drink, or mix it with juices and smoothies.
My recipe is very simple, traditional and I always succeed. Delicious borscht comes out of it! It has its own little kitchen secret. As you can see, I don’t add a slice of wholemeal bread to it, as is usually done, but the slice can become moldy easily. Instead, to speed up the process of pickling beets, add a tablespoon of pickled water – cucumbers or sauerkraut. It also adds depth to the flavor! If I interested you in this delicious Christmas recipe, please read on!
Beet leaven for borscht – recipe, how to make
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Waiting time: 5-7 days
- 1 kg of beetroot
- 1 liter of boiled and cooled water
- 5 cloves of garlic
- a small piece of horseradish
- 1 tablespoon of rock salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 grains of allspice
- 1 tablespoon of homemade pickles juice: cucumbers / cabbage
Time required: 15 min ..
- Preparation of beetWash the beets, peel them very thinly and cut into thick slices.
- Preparation of the dishThe dish should first be poured with boiling water. We choose to make the leaven in a stone, glass or ceramic container, otherwise it will react with acid.
- Stacking ingredientsPlace the beets tightly in the pan. Peel the garlic and cut each clove. Squeeze between the beets, along with the rest of the spices, in all layers. Put the horseradish on top.
- PouringMake a marinade – mix the cooled water with salt and silage juice until it dissolves. Pour over the beetroot so that they are covered with water, preferably up to the cap.
- Putting downCover the dish with gauze, a linen cloth or a diaper, and secure around it with a string. Set aside in a warm place for about 5-7 days. The warmer it is, the shorter the fermentation time.
- VerificationYou have to look into the vessel every day and if there is foam on the surface, you can collect it and stir the whole thing well. Nothing will happen!
- DrainingThe leaven is ready when the color darkens. Such a drink must be poured through a strainer into a clean jar, tightly closed and put in the refrigerator. In this way, it can be stored for several weeks, until holidays, or poured away for drinking every day.
Beet leaven – my comments:
To speed up the process of pickling beets, add a tablespoon of pickled cucumber / cabbage water or add a slice of wholemeal bread instead, but it may become moldy.
Do not throw out the leaven beets! They can be made, for example, for salad, salads, used for soup or blended into a cocktail or juice.
We will use the ready-made leaven to make a delicious, traditional Christmas Eve soup: red borscht, for which the recipe will appear here soon.
Enjoy your meal! And everything is healthy 🙂